How to Cook Asparagus? It happened to me again! I had no idea how to cook this vegetable 😅 If with cold water or hot water … With salt or without salt … And all those tips to make them perfect. I searched the internet, but it was not easy to find a clear and simple step-by-step process for making asparagus.
Asparagus is difficult to grow, it is in the season for a few months, between April and June, although fortunately in some areas of the world, due to its weather, they can be grown throughout the year and exported to other countries out of a season of this vegetable.
The stud comes in various sizes, with a diameter ranging from thinner than a straw to thicker than the thumb.
Some people prefer the finer stems for their delicacy and tenderness, and others prefer thick asparagus for its more robust flavor and meaty texture.
What to Look for When Buying Fresh Asparagus?
When you go to buy asparagus, select those that have firm and straight stems and that is uniform in thickness to guarantee similar cooking. Stem thickness is not an indicator of quality or flavor.
- The thick asparagus is more mature than the thin variety but the most important thing is to choose those that are bright green, or purple or white depending on the variety, with firm stems and not loose.
- Make sure the tips are closed and compact. Smell them! some asparagus that is not fresh will probably smell bad.
- Store them wrapped in damp kitchen paper in a plastic bag and take no more than 1-2 days to use them. Asparagus is a type of vegetable that does not store well.
To ensure the freshest flavor, try buying and eating asparagus the same day.
How to Cook Asparagus In the Oven?
When cooking asparagus, discard stems that are very thick, hardy, and woody. Cut the asparagus by hand and discard the part that is resistant to being cut.
- They will naturally break at the correct point.
- The asparagus needs very little cooking time and the less time it cooks, the better it will keep the nutrients.
- They are usually blanched (blanched) by boiling in salted water for 2-3 minutes and immediately cooled in ice water.
- This technique helps preserve the flavor, the crisp texture, and its beautiful green color.
- Blanching can be used as an initial cooking technique or as a method of cooking vegetables immediately before using other methods such as frying.
If you are going to prepare them on the grill or in the oven, spread them with olive oil beforehand, with the help of a brush, so that the asparagus does not dry out.
To know if the asparagus is done, test the tips with a sharp knife: we want tender tips with stems al dente.
Children at Home? Tips for Preparing Asparagus
Asparagus is food that, in principle, is not difficult to include in children’s nutrition due to its soft texture and flavor. However, it is not very popular among the little ones because they always associate it with salads, a dish that unfortunately is not usually to their liking.
The ideal thing is to offer them this healthy vegetable as an ingredient in different dishes and cooked in different ways.
A good way to do it is to fill them with ham, cheese, or seafood and accompany them with different sauces and gratin or coat them.
Also, may interest you:
Children relate this culinary technique to other foods such as meats. They can also be prepared as part of an original skewer of vegetables with meat or fish or include them in tortillas, creams, and purees.
In addition, there are attractive dishes based on asparagus such as flan, puff pastry, cannelloni, or lasagna that the little ones will not be able to resist. They should not be missing in a varied and nutritious salad.